Sunday, October 5, 2014

Spanish Geography Unit

Over the years I have come to love mnemonic devices. It teaches the students a great way to learn numerous items in a fun way. I've included the interactive notebook map pages we used to teach the geography unit. There are also some fantastic online games (Thank you Mrs. King) you can play with your students as well on the Smart Board.  Game 1, Game 2, Game 3, Game 4, Game 5

Here are the words I use:

Mexico and Central America

   My
   Great
                                            Enchiladas
                                            Have
                                            No
                                            Cheese
                                            Puffs

South America

    Victoria
    Collins
    Eats
    Pinto
    Beans
    Chili
    And
    Pink Unicorns

The Caribbean

    Chocolate
    Rabbit
    Poop

Some of you may be wondering about the capitals.  I don't make the students memorize them.  I go over them and teach them, but our dept decided (Thank you Mrs. West) it isn't the MOST important thing to know.  Students will pick these up as we go.  However, the locations of the countries are SUPER important. I offer the capitals as bonus on the map test. I'm also allowing them to cash in bonus points for homework passes this year as well. It's amazing when you don't make capitals a mandatory part of the test how many students push themselves to learn all the capitals too! I enjoy teaching the kids a skill that they will use for the rest of their lives to memorize and learn numerous facts and details. It really works!  Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Your very welcome! Enjoy and share on!

      Delete
  2. ¡¡¡Las Islas Malvinas son ARGENTINAS!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's awesome. I don't think they showed up on the map I gave. Sorry!

      Delete
  3. LOVE this! Thanks for making learning the country locations fun:)

    ReplyDelete